Tuesday, July 8, 2008

a more solid concept about the room

Kristina and I had a long talk about the set-up of the room and the placing of the objects. Additionally, we thought about the placing of the lights and the relevance of the music. At the bottom of this post is a picture of the sketches we made, but I will explain later what it exactly means, because we have to leave.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - UPDATE SCHMUPDATE - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Again it was a long day, and I went right after the meeting to the good old Pizza Hut to eat, of course, a pizza. After that I went to the hotel and noticed that everyone was already gone (or working...), so i have to do it with a borrowed laptop and this blog, instead of beer and good company :(. At least I have some time to work things out.

as promised, some more info. At first I have to say that we are developing two aspects of the project; the first one is a 3d model and charts how the project would function and look like. The second one is a narrowed down prototype that consists of a Wizzard of Oz combined with a simple physical interface.
Kristina and I worked today on the concept, while George and Onur worked on the basics of the Wizzoz (abbreviation of Wizzard of Oz, because it's a long word and the short word sounds more hip-hop. Fo shizzle, yo).

Instead of a square kind of room, we wanted a more organic, more sphere-like set up. Also, we thought about integrating the objects more in the environment.
There are 3 things people can influence: This things are light, sound and the most important, the graphic on the screen.
We started with dividing the room more in different parts, but it is still a single room. There's only one entrance, so the user is in a closed environment. Every part has relating objects to it. We want the more "bad" objects (the properties people experience as bad, but that is relative to the person) easier available to the group. The warm and comfortable objects are in more hard places, so people have to do more their best to make the room more pleasurable (just look and the post Georg had made for more info about this).

The materials
Here a short (but not definitive) list which materials we gonna use.

glass --> cold, smooth
rusty metal --> cold, rough
stone --> rough
wood --> warm, rough
paper --> warm, smooth
plastic --> smooth, warm
fabric --> soft, warm
cotton --> soft, warm, light

Instead of objects of the same size, we are going to use different shapes and places. The objects in the room are on a table, so the findability is on an very low level. Other objects are integrated in the wall, like a stroke with relief. The last ones are hanging from the ceiling.
I think were gonna work this out tomorrow, because I'm a bit out of steam.

For tommorow
  • We have to start at the site (what is going in it?).
  • Looking for materials for the objects
  • graphics (symbols or calligraphy?)
  • linking arduino with flash
  • Flash thing
  • which sounds?
  • 3d sketch
  • and more...


additionally, a picture of flying dogs.

1 comment:

lode said...

Hoverdogs! Or is it Dogcrafts?

Anyway, I'm the one Nikki borrowed the laptop from.. and in the meantime he explained where the concept was going. So now I'm left here with my thoughts.. Only one solution, sharing :)

Please, don't misunderstand me, I'm only sharing my thoughts about a concept I do not fully understand. So just use my words were you like and trow them away when they are bullshit to you.

Nikki told me that you are thinking about leaving calligraphy for some kind of symbols or icons. In Dutch we call this "het kind met het badwater weggooien" ;) Which means something like making the wrong decision to get around a problem and trowing away the most beautiful part. I really liked the idea of being able to manipulate the calligraphy with the physical touchy objects. The calligraphy might not be understandable for everyone and thus be seen as decoration.. oh, I couldn't say that anymore, right? No I mean art. In my eyes the room you're creating is a very nice arty place in which you can touch and enjoy (the dynamically changing calligraphy surrounding you on the walls).
I have the feeling that symbols or icons representing the objects in the room is the same as displaying the objects them selfs on the wall. The calligraphy makes this concept nice and arty were as the symbols just explain what the user is touching?
Don't be scared by maybe making people angry by using calligraphy in a wrong way. Your meaning is creating art, not insulting anyone with the text you write.

Well again, just go for your own ideas if you don't agree with me :) Have fun!

Lode & Låda